How was your weekend?
I spent mine in Sydney for Voices of 2013. I feel very honoured to be included in the list of Top 25 Fashion and Style bloggers – but more on that later. There were lots of wonderful bloggers at the Voices of event and I jumped at the chance to photograph BusiChic outfits which I will be sharing with you this week; a great mix of ideas on what to wear to a conference, if I say so myself! Today I’m featuring the style of one attendee whose style I thought was wonderful inspiration for those interested in wearing longer skirt styles: Vivian Mansour of Ish and Chi.
Voices of 2013 consisted of a Blogging Master class and a gala evening. Vivian sat on the Blogging 101 panel in the masterclass and I was heartened to learn that she also works in IT as a Project Manager. See, I’m not the only person in IT who has a creative streak! 😉
Clockwise from top: The Blogging 101 panel (L-R): Vivian Mansour of Ish and Chi, Jen of Interiors Addict and Rebecca of Wee Birdy moderated by the fantabulous Pip Lincolne of Meet me at Mike’s, Lexy Brooks – editor of Kid Spot; Beautiful blooms which according to Wee Birdy’s Instagram were by The Flower Drum – the dame seems to know everything and as the flowers were jaw-droppingly gawjus, I’ve no reason to doubt it; and key-note speaker Hailey Bartholomew of 365 Grateful and many splendid things– someone new to add to the HERO list! Sidenote: Voices of 2013 was held at Megan Morton’s The School – I was very, very excited to be in Megan’s beautiful space.
Things I learnt from the Blogging 101 panel:
- To avoid having an ugly-arse blog, keep fonts simple, easy to navigate and make content and beautiful images the focus.
- Blog headlines that make good copy, aren’t necessarily good for SEO (Search Engine Optimisation). That said, do try to make headings easy for readers to find e.g. “How to make a crochet blanket” vs “Wooly bits!”
- A technical one – using the “alt text” field in images will help people find your images in Google Images. – great tip from someone in the crowd (who was that?)!
- Don’t just wait for traffic to come to you, you have to do something about it!
- “The internet is forever.” – Vivian Mansour
- “Your blog will take you places. Let it.” – Pip Lincolne.
Unfortunately I was also nursing a hangover so my notes aren’t quite complete. Help? What do you think bloggers should know? Or share one thing that you’d like me to tweak here on BusinessChic? I think it’s time to start making some tweaks, don’t you? That said, one of the tweaks I had planned was to completely change my blog header so that I’m no longer on it – the folks I ran this by over the weekend thought that was a terrible idea – what do you think?
Follow BusinessChic on Instagram +: