Disclaimer: This post has been sponsored by Porter Davis World of Style Design Centre now open at 410 City Road, South Melbourne.
Do you have a home office? Regular BusiChics will know that I’ve set one up in our apartment and getting it looking right is something I think a bit about. I struggle to get the balance right between creating a functional space that is optimised for productivity and one that fits in to the surrounds of our living space. So it was great to have the chance to work with Porter Davis recently and get tips from Senior Interior Designer, Catherine Valente.
Catherine’s tips for setting up a home office.
- Keep the space organised and simple. Ensure your desk is big enough to comfortably lay out your computer and paperwork, but that it isn’t too big and just houses clutter. Invest in some good stationery folders and holders so that day to day items can be hidden. These stationery items can then become a feature on the desk.
- Add some décor items but stick to a simple story or theme.
- Ensure the desk is similar in style to the rest of the furniture in your home. It should be an extension of your overall space, just because it is a workstation it doesn’t need to look like one!
- Add some greenery to soften the space and so it doesn’t look so formal and “office like”
- Ensure you have enough storage. This doesn’t mean you need to fill the room with filing cabinets though! You can purchase pieces of furniture that can store paperwork, i.e. a buffet or sideboard.
5 more minutes with Catherine.
In your role as Head Interior Designer for Porter Davis, what would you wear for (1) an important meeting or making a presentation (2) desk-to-after-work drinks outfit
- Important Meeting /Presentation – Tailored Jacket layered over the top of a longer black top. Tailored or satin style pant . Statement Pieces of jewellery – Necklace and bracelet. Designer Style Watch and Black Flat with Detail
- Desk to after work drinks – Flats with colour or pattern, chunkier statement pieces of jewellery, leatherjacket and skinny pants/jeans
Favourite brands for work attire
Zara, Witchery, Guess, Country Road , Decjuba
What’s in your workbag?
My iPad, iPhone, make up bag, perfume, sunglasses and spare pair of prescription glasses, leather notebook and purse.
You have a great eye for style and texture, which stationery lines do you look to yourself for the office?
- Notemaker – cool diverse range of stationery
- Kikki K stationery – leather ranges for diaries, folders, notebooks
- Typo for some quirky different pieces
The Porter Davis World of Style display is at 410 City Road, South Melbourne.
Open 9am-5pm daily.