Dress for Success Auckland are holding their annual Designer Fashion Sale on 30 March 2017 in the Sapphire Room at Ponsonby Central. It is one of the most hotly anticipated fundraising events run by this not-for-profit (NFP) which works to empower women into employment. In Australia there has been lots of talk recently about the value of volunteering so I sat down with board member, Jessica West-Walker, to get an understanding of what it looks like to be a professional by-day and NFP board member outside-of-hours.
1. What is your day job, industry?
Project Manager for commercial construction projects.
2. What is your role with Dress for Success Auckland? What does it mean to be a board member?I have two roles with Dress for Success. I am a Volunteer Dresser and Board Member on the Board of Directors.
3. How did you hear about the organization and what made you want to be a board member? How did you go about becoming a board member? Were there any skills and qualifications you needed to get or highlight?
4. What have you learnt or hope to develop from being a board member? Are there transferrable skills between your day job and your role as a board member? Or how does being a board member make you feel?
5. The Designer Fashion Sale is just around the corner. What can attendees expect? What are you hoping to achieve from the sale?
The Designer Fashion Sale is on this Thursday 30 March 2017 in the Sapphire Room at Ponsonby Central.